Tuesday, June 17, 2008

HOT! HOT! HOT!

Well it is now Tuesday and I still haven't wrote about the weekend so here goes.
Ben and I decided to go to Odessa for the weekend. He wanted to work cows and visit his dad for Father's day so on Friday afternoon we took off and headed westward bound for a weekend of fun in the sun :)

Well Sat. morning we got up and headed out to work cows. Now just remember that Odessa is in the desert and it is hot, hot, hot! Well we gathered cows, penned some and did other stuff all while this was going on the temperature rose to 103 degrees. Now for those use to the desert it wasn't bad but for this Rocky Mountain girl - it about did me in. I was longing for those days in the fall where it is snowing and you are still rounding up cows. I never thought I would say that but it was that HOT! Below is my husband - the cowboy!


That evening Bob (Ben's dad) wanted to go to Midland and watch the baseball game (Midland has a minor league team). So off we went to the baseball game with Ben's Grandmother, Great Aunt, Ben's Mom - Melinda and Bob. I have to say we had a great time. The game was good. We sat in the shade and there was a slight breeze so it wasn't near so hot. And to add to the fun there was a great fireworks show at the end of the game. Even Ben (who isn't a baseball fan) had a great time.

Ben and I at the ballgame!


The Clements Family at the game.


The Game!

Now on to Sunday! Well again we got up and went to gather some cows! It was hot actually 104 degrees and so I repeat - it was HOT! We were supposed to gather cows and move them from one pasture to another so with Ben and I on horses, Bob on a 4-wheeler and Brandi in the truck we start to proceed. For those of you unfamiliar with the desert and pastures in the desert they are huge and I mean like miles big so it takes awhile and they are full of brush and mesquite trees. Well now on to the story. As we gathered there were two calves that we just couldn't get so we got the rest of the herd put away and Bob and Ben and I went on 4-wheelers to find them. Well we found them, after driving madly through the brush I might add, holed up under a mesquite tree. Ben and I stayed on our 4-wheeler to keep an eye on them and Bob rushed to meet Brandi with horses. So here comes the best part. As Bob and Brandi race to catch one calf on horses, Ben and I take off for the other one on the 4-wheeler. Ben is driving at this point and my real concern is to just hang on. Well we get closer to the calf and I tell Ben to just rope it - so we stop and switch places. I am now in the drivers seat and Ben is trying to hang on and swing his rope! With my expert driving skills, dodging mesquite trees and brush, I get Ben close enough for a shot so I lean down, pin my ears and throttle in there just like a good ole calf horse should and Ben throws his loop - well all I have to say is Stran and Topper couldn't have done a better job then Ben, Jodi and the Yamaha! I just wish I had pics!

After finally getting all the cows put away - we decided to go cool off. They have this huge swimming hole that is so deep you can swim your horses in it. Yes I chickened out and didn't swim my horse but here is a couple of pics of Ben and Raven cooling off!

And so that was the end of our Father's Day weekend. We had a great time in the desert and I have finally cooled off some although it might take some Rocky Mountain air to really chill me out! LOL!

2 comments:

The Douglas's said...

wow, hot! Sheesh!! I thought it was hot here, ya know, 70 degrees :) I would chicken out too on swimming my horse. Bo has done it and says its fun but Im too chicken! :)

Maydi said...

I laughed my butt of at your story-it sounded like a few stories from my childhood (minus it turning out good) lol. I understand about the desert-Phoenix in the summer is definitely no peach...Sounds like you are having a great time with life, it's good to hear from ya.