Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Goats Are OUT!!

If you know anything about me, you know that I have never been around goats. They were pretty much banned from the Dee Cornia ranch (with the exception of Pete's but it was pretty much like a dog). This came from the excuses of "You don't want to be a goat tyer, you will just blow out your knees" and "they are just a pain, don't bother with them we are a cattle ranch so we show beef calves at the 4-H sale." Being the athlete (HA HA) that I was these excuses were just fine by me and so you now know I have little goat experience.

Now when I married my husband I didn't realize the love for goats that he has and believe me I never thought we would have a goat herd ourselves. But lo and behold we now have quite the herd. Goats are like mice once you get one they just seem to multiply. Now I have to give my husband credit the accquiring of our first nanny was an experience I will never forget (it wasn't through the typical sale barn). I would go into that story but it is for another time. As for the rest well let me just say that the sale barn calls us every week and lets us know that they have nannies because we are such good customers. We have sold two goats so far but it seems when we take one goat to the sale we just exchange it for 4 more (along with a check lol). I have to give my husband credit though - we went to the goat sale last week and sold one and didn't buy any, not for the lack of trying.

Well onto the rest of my story...about two weeks ago at the unheard of hour of 6:30 am I hear my husband shout out "Jodi get some shoes! The goats are out!" Well as I try to awake from my deep beauty slumber and stumble to find my shoes - I realize that this is not good. Although we own 8 nannies and a billy, only one is tame - if you call it that. As I slip on my flip flops visions of us running down our county road with ropes in our hands and goats scattering everywhere run through my head, and then I hear my husband say they are just in the backyard. So I walk to our sliding door and there is the goat herd complete with the watchout goat (never knew there was such a thing) standing on top of our tractor. (See below) Luckily they had only been out just a bit and our prized tomato and pepper plants were still in tact! So for all of you wondering the moral of the story - well there isn't one except that yes a goat can climb to the top of a red International tractor.



The Goat Watcher - Spot


Dolly & Spike


My Goat - Dolly!

No comments: