Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Baking Time!

Well I don't have any pics to post but I did want to write about my baking experience. A couple of weeks ago I mentioned to Ben that I thought I would bake some poppyseed bread and some carmels and take them to our neighbors - He thought it was a great idea and immediately began forming a list. Well the list got longer and longer and needless to say I am still baking. So I decided that I would make my family's world famous poppyseed bread (I won a blue ribbon with it at the Utah State fair in 4-H), homemade carmels and red and green butter cookies. Well yesterday I rolled up my sleeves and started my project. After throwing out one batch of carmels and having my husband tell me the red and green cookies taste like cardboard I am down to poppyseed bread and well thank heavens my 4-H skills didn't fail me there and it turned out great!

I think for years I have taken for granted my mom baking for Christmas time. I didn't realize how much work and time was involved but I am faithfully carrying out the tradition. These recipes were passed down to me from my mom and hopefully I can pass them down to my kids as well.

I love Christmas and presents and the whole Santa thing but I the older I get the more I love the Christmas traditions. So here is to Ben and I and carrying on our families traditions along with making our own traditions as well.

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and for those of you that received some baked goods from us - beware of the red and green cookies because even I admit they taste a little like cardboard!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell them that the Christmas cookies are for tree decorations rather than eating!